Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Where the Devil are my Slippers?

15 minutes on a train, 1 hour and 45 minutes on the tube, 9 hours and 40 minutes on an airplane, and easy as that I'm back in Denver. For the last two days I have been wandering around in a bit of a haze, looking the wrong way when crossing streets, waking up at strange hours and experiencing, I suppose, what I have been warned about: REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK. It's true, I have scornfully noticed the number of giant SUVs, the huge portions of food, the lack of Cadbury chocolate, and the fact that American accents are everywhere, but I have also enjoyed the efficient washers and dryers, the variety and quality of the television shows, sleeping in my own bed, and seeing my family.

But, let me take you back to a time before all that, a wonderful time when I was still in London. My last few days in London were very relaxed and full of denial. I had a hard time imagining traveling back to the US after so long, and staying in a very nice house with my very nice friend made me a little reluctant to accept that fact. I managed to fit in a few more London-y experiences before I left. I made my first visit to Lewisham and visited my first 99p store (everything 99 pence or less!), went to an art show and a party with Goldsmiths art students hailing from around the world, wandered around the South Bank, and saw Big Ben on its 150th birthday. Although I'm glad to be home, I am already pining for London and my many London friends and adventures, but after this semester and how much I loved being there, I'm pretty sure London and I will be reunited sometime, somehow.

Here are a sampling of pictures from my Grand Tour of Europe:

Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna:


Wienerschnitzel:


Innsbruck:


Venice:


Well, you know...


Cannes during the Film Festival:


Paris:




Versailles:


Amsterdam:


If any of you would like another travel blog, I will be accepting donations to my travel fund, and suggestions of places to go.
Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment